Tuesday, July 7, 2015

SUMMER FINDS

  During the better parts of my summer I have been on my ever going dorky quest to save geeky old toys from ending up in someones uncaring hands. So here I gather my finds over the summer. Some of these I picked up at yards sales or during the Superman celebration and others are from a box full of retro toys that were missing for over a year and finally found.


   ThunderCats figures, I may not have any of the ThunderCats themselves but, when I get the chance to pick up some of these figures for 2 bucks each I can not pass it up. They may be missing everything and more than just a bit beat up but, that just means they were well loved witch makes them fill more like toys than collector's treasure.

   Seen here is the mail in exclusive mummy Mumm Ra, regular Mumm Ra and the Tuska Warrior. LJN may be hated for there film based video games but they made a great toy line with ThunderCats.


   My lost and re found Playmates Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. One of the greatest toy lines ever made based on a comic that was made as a joke and never meant to be a more than that. The success of this line allowed Playmates to make many other awesome action figure lines based on other cool property's
 
  Pictured here from left to right is Mickey, Casey Jones, Leo, Ralph, Splinter and Bebop. Everyone but Casey is from the first series released in 1988, Casey is from the second series that was released in 1989. This is only a small sample of the line that would run  well into the 90's.


   Masters of the Universe may be the most definitive toy line of the 80's. These are some of my figures that were missing for over a year. The Wind Raider vehicle that is missing all of it's wings was actually given to me for free by a dealer during the Superman Celebration.

  Seen here is some of my favorite figures, Orko the tiny magician, Skeletor, He-Man, He-man's trusty stead Battle cat, Trap Jaw and, sitting in the Wind Raider, Moss Man. Just like the ThunderCats these are all a bit beat up but, that is the way I prefer my retro figures. They are always better when you know they were well loved.

  Onto my greatest summer find...


   The G.I.JOE Mobile Command Center, a huge unfolding, 3 story playset for your Joes. It may not be complete and it is not in the best condition but for $25 I could not turn this down. My dad had picked one of these up when I was a kid but during one of my parents arguments my mom tossed it across the room shattering it into several pieces. The one I have here is much more complete than that one was.


   Here it is in all of it's folded out glory with all my retro and early 2000's Joe figures set up on it. There is so much going on with this playset. There is so much play value with this. I will not go over all of it's glory here because I will be doing an article just on it.

   Well I hope you enjoyed this look at all the retro junk from the 80's I've picked up over the summer so far. If not whatever. If you were a child in the late 80's you may have seen everything on here at the same time at your local Toys "R" Us.

Yo Joe!, ThunderCats Ho!, Cowabunga and By the power of Greyskull,
I HAVE THE POWER!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment